Thursday, February 18, 2010

Where have I been? (and the easiest breakfast)

Sorry about the sabbatical guys, but so is the life of a soon-to-be-graduated college student:) I promise I'll post more often.
So I'm going to change things up a bit. Instead of just writing tips lists, I'll also include recipes, maybe book reviews, and articles on any other food or health topic that catches my fancy. Feel free to add your thoughts! I love getting comments, and I'll probably ask for opinions from time to time so please, don't be shy.
Now that the housekeeping's out of the way...

What's a healthy, easy, cheap and naturally gluten-free breakfast that's often snubbed?

(Drumroll...) Oatmeal! Not just the colorless sludge you often see in continental breakfasts at three star hotels, but sweet, steamy, creamy oats that are a blank canvas for your culinary imagination. It's my breakfast at least four or five times a week. Here's what to do:

Mix 1 part quick oats (get certified g free if you have celiac) with 2 parts filtered water
Nuke for 1 minute (or follow stove cooking directions on cartoon if you don't use microwaves)
Add a little milk is you want
Add whatever the heck you want. Fruit, nuts, crumbled-up muffin, you name it. Here are some of my favorite ways to dress up my oats:

Banana nut oats: add sliced or mashed banana and chopped walnuts.
Almond Joy oats: Almonds, coconut, and dark chocolate chips or cocoa powder.
Trail mix oats: add raisins before cooking, then add chopped nuts or nut butter.
Death-by-Chocolate oats: Add cocoa powder and stevia or agave to taste.
Reese's oats: Cocoa powder, sweetener, and peanut butter.
Strawberry-banana oats: strawberries, bananas, and sweetener.
Tropical oats: banana, berries, pineapple, and coconut.
Snickerdoodle oats: lots of cinnamon and some sweetener to taste.

Get creative! Not only are oats super-versatile and g free, each serving packs 5 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber, which will help keep your blood sugar stable. (adding nuts or nut butters further lowers it's glycemic index). Also, it's the perfect breakfast for these cold, nasty winter mornings.
Happy eating!

2 comments:

  1. Kella, love the new post! Very creative on the different ways to make oatmeal. I will have to try some for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your back! I've been checking to see you column with disappointment, but now your back from outer space with that sweet look upon your face. I should have changed all the locks, I should have made you leave your key. If I'd a known for one second that this going to bother me. But now you're back. I WILL SURVIVE.(song lyrics changed to fit the occasion!)

    ReplyDelete