Sunday, August 23, 2009

My 10 Favorite Workouts

Who wants to spend day after day slogging away on the elliptical in a gym or running on a treadmill like a hamster on a wheel? Finding a workout you enjoy is key to sticking to an exercise routine. Here are a few of my favorite ways to stay fit:
Walking outside-
If I don’t get my walk, my creative output for the day is zilch. Nothing gets my wheels turning better. I can do it anytime, anywhere and all I need is my sneakers and some space. If I don’t feel like getting sweaty from power walking, I just go for a leisurely, but brisk stroll instead.
Yoga-
Yoga stretches and strengthens the muscles simultaneously, which creates that long, lean look everyone is clamoring for. Yoga gets me out of my head and into my body so I can pinpoint any tension I need to work out. It relieves stress, increases lung capacity, improves digestion, and builds flexibility. All you need is a mat and a good DVD or book to guide you. Get to a class if you can though, a book can’t adjust your form..
Sprints-
I love to do this at the track when I’m mad. I speed walk half a lap, then I sprint as far as I can, just to see how fast I can go. I walk for another half lap, then I sprint again. I keep this up for as long as I can, or until I’ve sweated out all my grumpiness.
Ice-skating-
I don’t get to do this very often and I’m no Michelle Kwan, but I love gliding through the cold air. Skating firms your glutes and melts off those saddlebags in no time, so grab a friend and lace up the skates.
Pilates-
You’ll never find a better core workout. The stretching and strength moves will flatten your abs in a flash and will improve your posture, which makes you look taller and thinner, after only one session. You’ll need a mat and a DVD or book if you can’t get an instructor. My favorite book is The Pilates Body by Brooke Siler. It gives detailed explanations and illustrations of each exercise and tailors them to your level. Your body will never be the same.
Kickboxing-
Another great way to beat stress. Kickboxing tones muscles you didn’t know you had and is a killer cardio workout. I’ve done Tae-bo for years because the moves are simple but challenging and it works. Oh man, it works.
Hiking-
I’m live on the base of a mountain, so I’m blessed with a plethora of trails to explore. Hiking to a destination, such as a mountain summit or a beautiful waterfall motivates you to keep going and push harder. Be sure to pack a water bottle or two and don’t go alone. Safety first.
Swimming-
If you hate to sweat, jump in the pool for a refreshing, no-impact, total-body workout. Flutter kicks firm and lift your rear and arm strokes like the front crawl tone your shoulders and strengthen your back. If you’re just getting started, grab a kickboard to keep you afloat so you can focus on your kicks.
Biking-
Biking around my neighborhood everyday is one of my favorite childhood memories. Ride on the road or hit some trail with a mountain bike. Biking slims those thighs in no time and is one of the easiest workouts to squeeze into your day because it doubles as transportation. Pedal to work a few days a week and bike to a couple errands. You’ll save a bundle on gas.
Playing with kids-
I teach a “Strong Kids” class at an elementary school every Friday, and it’s the most intense workout of my week. We play awesome games like “Hungry Crabs,” “Mr. Freeze”, “Freeze Dance”, and dozens of tag variations. Be a kid again, run around, play tag. Childhood enthusiasm is contagious.

No comments:

Post a Comment